Sunday 18 September 2016

The Trickiness of Fluidity: Objectified Response

While I was watching the documentary Objectified, during the interview of Erwan and Ronan Bouroullec, I saw this lovely chair design at the time 27:22.

I really loved how fluid and simple something could be while also maintaining a good purpose.  This was what inspired me to make this!  The documentary seemed to focus heavily on the importance of function within a simple design.  I felt this unique chair fitted those qualities well.  It looks like something that would be comfortable to sit in, even without cushions.  Because of this, less materials would be used while still maintaining a basic functionality as well as an appealing appearance. 

The majority of time was spent just trying to create the smooth curve of the chair


I found it rather difficult to create such a fluid but simple design with the simple shapes given.  But with enough fiddling I finally managed to create a desirable looking chair!  I had to create a unique shape to go around the more rounded portions to take off excess mesh.  I had to keep in mind sizes and angles.  Unfortunately some clipping occurred and as such I did my best to remove as much as I could without ruining the shape,

This is what the final product turned out to be! 






1 comment:

  1. Love this very visual response to the film. You did a fantastic job re-creating this chair, with very limited tools, to boot! I am excited to see what you create once we explore some more advanced tools this semester.

    ReplyDelete